MONTAGUE, N.J. — The Montague Association for the Restoration of Community History (MARCH) of Montague, N.J., in cooperation with the Sussex County Arts & Heritage Council, will open the Foster-Armstrong House from 1-4 p.m. Oct. 6-7 as part of the 8th Annual Sussex County Heritage Weekend.

The Foster-Armstrong House, circa 1790, is a two-story Dutch colonial building that is now a museum dedicated to preserving the history of Montague. The house is at 320 River Road, about a mile north of the Milford/Montague Bridge. It is listed on the State Historic Register of New Jersey and is a National Historic Register Site.

The Foster-Armstrong House offers a historical sampling of what life was like in this farming community from 1790 to 1970. Ten rooms in the museum are open to the public and feature local history displays in each room. New displays this season include “Aprons Over the Years,” which highlights the use of this once essential and still utilitarian textile. Many of the aprons in this new display are on loan from the Montague Grange and their members. MARCH also offers a new feature which displays the history of Montague’s one-room schoolhouses as well as the current elementary school in Montague Township. The new school exhibit includes photographs, documents, books, a cornerstone brick, and even old school records. Interested residents may wish to check and see if they recognize themselves or old friends.

The Foster-Armstrong House also contains an original beehive oven, displays about the four historical township hamlets, and presentations of Lenape Indian artifacts from the tri-state area. There is a quilt room which features 25 antique and handmade quilts and a military room with artifacts and memorabilia from Montague residents. There is also a Victorian period bedroom, spinning and weaving looms, a colonial keeping room and more.

The museum highlights multiple pictorial displays of local houses and buildings that are no longer standing, and MARCH offers genealogy charts and access to its research library by appointment. The gift shop, The Foster General Store, is open during tours, and hand-made crafts, postcards and local books about the tri-state area are available for sale.

There is no admission fee, but donations and new memberships are always welcomed.

For a printable and interactive map of other sites open during the Annual Sussex County Heritage Weekend, visit scahc.org/events.