How many neckties or gadgets does your dad really need - or want - for Father's Day? You might, instead, set your sights on giving the special man in your life something he'll treasure even more than gifts: time with his family. Our region is brimming with options; here's a sampling.
Unplug and unwind
Take a break from tech devices for the day, and spend some relaxing, quality time together as a family. The Southern Catskill Anglers have the right idea: Join them for a Family Fishing Day from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. June 15 at 133 Howell St. in Pine Bush. No fishing licenses are needed; just bring your chairs, camera and fishing pole - and if you need a pole, no problem. Fishing equipment is available to borrow. Just $5 per person includes a lunch of hot dogs, beans, pickles, chips, watermelon, lemonade and more. There will also be a community dessert table for anyone who wishes to bring a treat to share.
"Fish will be caught!" said Donna Schirrman, treasurer and communications contact for the Anglers. "It's a great day to spend time with your father or grandfather as a family." Email Schirrman at email@example.com. Sign up by June 14.
Swing with the cool cats
• Treat dad to an evening "Swinging With the Rat Pack," as three New York actors bring the songs, laughs and charisma of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr. back to life at the Hurleyville Arts Centre, 12 Railroad Ave., Hurleyville, 7 p.m. June 15. The Sullivan County Historical Society will exhibit images and memorabilia from the original Rat Pack's visit to Sullivan County. Light appetizers and a wine/beer cash bar will be available. Tickets are $35 per person, or $60 for two.
• Barbecue and blues for Father's Day will feature a show by legendary blues and soul entertainer Slam Allen at Elsie's Place, 1475 Route 208, Walllkill, at 3 p.m. June 16. The menu features Elsie's barbecued brisket, pulled park and ribs, slow-cooked in their smoker. RSVP to 895-8975.
• Is your dad a fan of inspiring, military-themed music? Take him to the free "March Along, Sing Our Song" celebration of the Army's 244th birthday, featuring the West Point Band's world-class "Music Under the Stars" at Trophy Point Amphitheater, 117-119 Washington Road, West Point, at 7:30 p.m. June 15. The performance starts with a streamer ceremony and ends with a cake cutting. Bring a picnic, blanket and lawn chairs. westpointband.com; 938-2445.
Let's do brunch
• Fresh air, Hudson River views, relaxation in the sun - River Rose Cruises is offering a Father's Day Brunch Cruise on the River Rose, a 100-foot Mississippi paddle wheeler, from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. June 16. Meet at 70 Front St., Newburgh Waterfront. Admission, which includes a brunch buffet, is $42 for adults, $26 for children ages 4-12, and free for children under age 4. Reservations/tickets at riverrosecruises.com or 562-1067.
• Featuring a three-course brunch menu - plus family games to play with dad - Father's Day Cider Pairing Brunch will be held from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. June 16 at Angry Orchard, 2241 Albany Post Road, Walden. A cider cocktail will be paired with each brunch course, and there will be a complimentary tasting flight at the Cider House. Games include cornhole, giant chess and more. Tickets are $60; this event is for adults age 21 and up. angryorchard.com; 713-5180.
Rev it up
• Get in gear for Father's Day, and go watch the Antique Tractor Pulls at the Orange County Farmers Museum, 850 Route 17K,Montgomery. The action starts at 10 a.m. June 16. Admission is free; concessions are on site. 926-2727; ocfarmersmuseum.org
• Is dad a car enthusiast? The Hudson Valley Hot Rods are putting on a car show at Washingtonville's Farmer & Artisan Markets featuring classics to modern cars. The event will be held rain or shine, from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. June 16, at 29 West Main St., Washingtonville. Details on Facebook.
Slow it down
• Slow life's pace a bit and take dad to the Basha Kill Wildlife Management Area in Wurtsboro, for the annual Moonlight Walk at 8:30 p.m. June 15.Watch the moon rise over the Shawangunk Ridge and take in the natural beauty of the Basha Kill while ambling along the path, guided by naturalist Gary Keeton of the Basha Kill Area Association. The walk is on level terrain, at an easy pace. Tales of local and natural history will be shared. Bring insect repellent. Register by calling Keeton at 386-4892. Meet at Haven Road DEC parking lot, off Route 209, south of Wurtsboro.
• Or is your father more of a morning person? The Orange County Audubon Society is offering a Birding Field Trip at 8:30 a.m. June 16 at Goosepond Mountain State Park, 1198 State Route 17M, Chester. This is an easy walk on an abandoned road through a mix of woods and open fields, where you'll have the chance to see resident songbirds of field and forest. The walk is led by Jim Van Gelder. For details and meeting location, go to orangecountyaudubonsociety.org/field-trips/. 360-0508.
• We’ve got a local gem in the Walkway Over the Hudson, where you can enjoy breathtaking, 360-degree views of the Hudson River from 212 feet above. The Walkway, 1.28 miles long, is open daily from 7 a.m. to sunset, weather permitting. There are entrances at 87 Haviland Road, Highland, and 61 Parker Ave., Poughkeepsie. On June 16 at 1 and 3 p.m., enjoy a complimentary guided tour featuring stories about the past, present and future of the Walkway. Tours, led by trained Walkway Ambassadors, leave from 61 Parker Ave., Poughkeepsie. walkway.org
Life's a beach
Weather permitting, don't be afraid to get some sand between your toes and spend some quiet time with dad at a local beach, lake, pond or park. The possibilities are practically endless, so check local websites for details. For Sullivan County, go to sullivanny.us/Departments/ParksRecreation; for Orange, go to orangecountygov.com/150; for Ulster, go to ulstercountyny.gov/environment/recreation
Appreciate fine art
Is dad an art aficionado? Meet local artists where they work in a rare, behind-the-scenes Gardiner Open Studio Tour, from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. June 15 and 16. Get up-close and personal with the area's contemporary paintings, pottery, whimsical clay creations, abstract photography and landscapes created with oil, acrylics and pastels. Free, self-guided tour. gardineropenstudiotour.com for tour map and more information. 532-3548.
Laugh it up
What better Father's Day gift than a good belly laugh? Treat dad to The ManLaw Show, a Father's Day-themed comedy show featuring an all-female comedic lineup, at the Newburgh Comedy Club, 2 Commercial Place in Newburgh, at 8 p.m. June 14. The show is headlined by "the Latin Diva of Comedy," Sara Contreras, and features Ariana Rodriguez and host Nikki Carr, NBC's "Last Comic Standing" finalist. Admission is $20 general, $30 preferred, $36 VIP tables, plus fees. This event kicks off the Vegas Laughs Comedy Competition for new comedians. newburghcomedyclub.com.