ONTEORA FORFEITS GAME
Onteora informed host Millbrook Tuesday afternoon that it was forfeiting its 8-man football game Friday due to a disciplinary matter, Millbrook coach Lou Portaro said.
Onteora athletic director Kim Pilla did not immediately return a phone call inquiring about the situation. The Eagles had a bye last week after a season-opening win over Roscoe.
Millbrook is left without a game for the second time in three weeks. The Blazers were scheduled to open against Eldred before the Sullivan County school canceled its season due to lack of players.
“It's frustrating not being able to play,” Portaro said. “It seems like sometimes all we do is practice. I'm worried about this stuff when I haven't had to worry about it before, I worry about numbers for everybody else.”
Millbrook, which moved to 8-man football this season, has 27 players on its roster. Other Section 9 8-man teams are struggling for numbers. Portaro was told Dover, Millbrook’s opponent next week, dressed 15 players last week. The minimum for 8-man football is 12 players.
“The kids are practicing hard,” Portaro said. ”I feel bad for them. I feel bad for the seniors losing a home game. We only have one more home game left. It's just crazy. We have a little bit of a run here to see how good you are. You have one game and you have to wait another week.”